- Avoidance. There are leaders who completely withdraw from conflict believing that it doesn’t exist or that avoidance is their best approach. Like the proverbial ostrich, they prefer burying their head in the sand while violence ranges, with the belief that things will sort out themselves. They pretend to see no evil, hear no evil and do no evil.
- Accommodation. Some leaders are generally wary of conflict and they will not want to rock the boat. As a way of placating other parties to a conflict, they are willing to submit their objectives and assigned goals/roles in order to accommodate the pressures from other contending party (ies). In doing this, they may suffer in silence, experience frustration or bitterness with a lose-win imbalance.
- Domination. There are leaders who display shark attitude and are ready to force their point of view down the throat of others irrespective of their feelings. To them, their views and position must win while that of others must submit to theirs. They scale up arguments, threats, physical violence, force, intimidation and whatever is necessary to ensure their point of view wins over those of their opponents.
- Compromise. There are leaders who adopt lose-lose approach to resolving conflict. They resolve conflict by encouraging all parties to the disagreement to give up some of their demands in order to reach a consensual solution. In a compromise, all parties at least leave the negotiation table with some benefits. However, none of the parties may be satisfied as their charter of demand may not have all been met.
- Integration. This is a win-win conflict resolution position where all the parties drop their demands and work as a team to find a joint solution that satisfies all the parties. Using the integration style of resolving conflict, the solutions generated are owned by all the parties and they work together to monitor the implementation.
Integration method creates teams that evaluate progress, milestones and agreements that remains binding to all concerned. Where there are failures, the mechanism created helps in arresting those failures and remediating them. This method is the most endearing and remains the best option for leaders.